Solid Waste collection to shift by one day
TAVARES — All offices of the Lake County Board of County Commissioners, Property Appraiser, Supervisor of Elections and Tax Collector will be closed Monday, Dec. 24 and Tuesday, Dec. 25 for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as well as Monday, Dec. 31 and Tuesday, Jan. 1 for the New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Lake County Solid Waste’s residential curbside collection service will not operate on Christmas or New Year’s Day. Lake County’s Central Landfill Facility and all convenience centers will also be closed on both holidays. The Solid Waste Administrative office will be closed on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31.
Solid waste, yard waste and recycling collections will shift by one day during both holiday weeks, with the exception of Monday for both holiday weeks. For example, trash normally collected on Tuesday will instead be collected on Wednesday; however, Monday collection will still occur on Monday. Except for bulk items, any excess trash or recycling, either bagged or placed into a non-county trash cart, will be picked up between Dec. 26 and Jan. 7.
Haulers handle Christmas trees under the same criteria as yard waste, and trees should be free of ornaments and tinsel. Alternately, Christmas trees can be dropped off at any of five county convenience centers and the Central Landfill Facility. For locations and hours of operation, visit https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departments/public_works/solid_waste/.
To request collection of bulk items, such as furniture, appliances and other large household items, residents should notify their hauler directly. Haulers have 72 hours, excluding weekends or holidays, to fulfill the request. No hazardous waste items will be collected.
Lake County Connection, the county’s disadvantaged transportation service, and LakeXpress, the fixed-route bus system, will not operate on either of the holidays. For more information and schedules, visit www.ridelakexpress.com.
The Lake County Animal Shelter, located at 28123 County Road 561, Tavares, will be closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. For hours of operation and information on adoptable pets, visit www.lakecountyfl.gov/LCAS.
The Lake County Extension Center, located at 1951 Woodlea Road in Tavares, will be closed on both Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. For information about upcoming events hosted by the Extension, visit http://lake.ifas.ufl.edu/.
All Lake County Library System libraries will be closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with the following additional schedule changes:
- All libraries will be closed on Christmas Eve except Lady Lake Public Library, 225 W. Guava St., Lady Lake.
- All libraries will be closed on New Year’s Eve except Fruitland Park Library, 205 W. Berckman St., Fruitland Park; Leesburg Public Library, 100 E. Main St., Leesburg; and W.T. Bland Public Library, 1995 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora.
- Cooper Memorial Library, 2525 Oakley Seaver Drive, Clermont, will open 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Dec. 17-20 and Dec. 26-27. The library will be closed from Dec. 21-22 and Dec. 28-29.
- Fruitland Park Library, 205 W. Berckman St., Fruitland Park, will be closed at 3 p.m. on Dec. 21 and Dec. 31.
- Leesburg Public Library, 100 E. Main St., Leesburg, will close at 6 p.m. on Dec. 31.