Thanks to a generous anonymous donor, The Town of Oakland is offering eligible residents relief on their utility bills due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 Utility Assistance Program will assist in offsetting a portion or all of customers’ water, wastewater and garbage bills.
For residents who meet the criteria and submit a completed application, the Town will reduce utility bills by up to $80. Once the initial utility reduction is made, new applicants will get priority so the Town may assist as many affected residents possible. This assistance is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and is subject to funding availability.
The following guidelines must be met to receive assistance:
- The applicant must have recently had a break in employment (laid off, furloughed, temporarily displaced) due to COVID-19.
- The applicant must be a residential utility customer of the Town of Oakland.
- The property’s water/wastewater service must be through the Town of Oakland.
- The property served must be occupied and used by the applicant as his or her principal residence during the period for which a reduced rate is applied.
- The applicant must not be delinquent in any utility payment owed to the Town of Oakland.
- The applicant must complete a written application on the Town of Oakland COVID-19 Utility Assistance Program Application and must provide a copy of a notice for Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Benefits) filed through the State of Florida.
The application form can be found online at https://oaklandfl.gov/922/